There used to be a time when genetic ocular disorders and facial cancers did not have a cure. Today, that is not the case anymore. Medicine and technology have evolved and developed so much that almost all problems regarding the eye and face can be surgically treated nowadays. Oculoplasty is a field that focuses on the acquired and hereditary disorders that involve the eye socket, eyelids and tear ducts. Oculoplastic surgery can cure almost all ocular disorders and impairments today.
The country of USA has its own proud share of surgeons in the field of oculoplasty. They are skilled and learned and adept in the areas they have specialized in. Many of the leading hospitals in USA are equipped with the infrastructure and facilities to provide people with first class treatments for ocular disorder. These treatments are initiated with eye tests, which would later be diagnosed, keeping in mind the patients age and other specifications. The surgeries are always followed up with instructions and steps to help the patients recover properly.
But one major problem that brings down the popularity of oculoplastic surgeries in USA is the fact that everyone in the society is not being able to tap into the resources available to them, especially due to confinement of leading surgeons within expensive hospitals. People belonging to the middle class and below often find it hard to shoulder the overbearing surgical fees.
Oculoplastic Surgery in India
This is where India comes as a solution for everything. For years, India has been a popular hub for surgery and wellness and people from around the world come here to get elaborate surgeries performed at affordable rates. People from USA view India as a convenient option, given the proximity, advanced technologies as well as the affordability of the fee. It is a fact that some of the best oculoplastic surgeons in the world are from India and are practicing in India.
One of the best out of this group of surgeons happens to be Dr. Debraj Shome. Considered to be nothing less than a celebrity and an idol in the field of oculoplasty and plastic surgery, it is known that Dr. Shome has got the miraculous healing touch. He is one of the major reasons why thousands of patients from other countries decide to get their ocular disorders rectified in India. Here’s why they prefer Dr. Shome to other surgeons in the world:
- Availability of one-to-one consultation
- Tie-ups with specialty hospitals
- Follow-up systems
- Awareness about current methods in this field of surgery
- Guidance on recovery and care
- In-depth investigations without bias
- Vast knowledge
A standard oculoplastic surgery can cause great financial distress to the common man. It is will be even more difficult to afford when considering the unique rate structure in USA, that would leave the lower sections of the society to search for alternative means to find an answer to the problems. Thus many of them choose India over USA. Considering India’s justified rate distribution, advanced treatment methods and medicines used, getting an oculoplastic surgery done in India seems to be a rather wise and convenient decision. A standard oculoplastic surgery would cost a person around INR 60,000 to 80,000, which is so much lesser than what he or she would have to pay in USA.
Dr. Debraj Shome and His Accolades
Settled and practicing in Mumbai, Dr. Shome is not merely a respected and admirable surgeon. His passion for humanity, never ending thirst for knowledge, friendly demeanor, approachable attitude and leadership traits are well known in the medical industry. His contributions to the surgical world are numerous, which includes the Esthetics clinic he co-founded in affiliation to the famous Apollo Hospitals in Hyderabad and the numerous national and international research publications he has to his name.
Dr. Shome is sought after by many leading national and international hospitals. He is now the head of the Facial Plastic Surgery department. He was also the head of the Facial Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery wing in the Esthetics Clinic from 2009 to 2011.
He has numerous achievements and accolades to his credit in the field of oculoplasty, facial oncology and cosmetic surgery. They include:
- Best Oculoplastic Surgeon India
- Top 10 Cosmetic Surgeons in India
- Celebrity Plastic Surgeon in World
- The American Academy of Ophthalmology’s Journal, ‘Dermatologic Surgery and for the Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery.
- Best Plastic Surgeon Mumbai
- Marquis Who’s Who
- Reviewer for Indian Journal of Ophthalmology’s ‘Head and Neck Surgery
- Marquis Who’s Who Asia Pacific
- Bharat Biotech – LVPEI Travel Grant Award in 2005
- Travelling Grant Fellowship Award from the Royal College of Surgeons, Glasgow for his work in Oncology research in 2005
It is wonderful how he is skilled in many niche areas that involve plastic surgery and oculoplasty. He has a wide range of interests in these fields and has excelled in each of them. Some of them are given below:
- Non-surgical Facial Rejuvenation
- Face Lifts
- Oculoplastic Surgery
- Mid-Face lifts
- Cosmetic Facial Plastic Surgery
- Eyelash enhancement
- Auricular Repositioning
- Facial Reconstructive Surgery post Facial fractures and cancers
- Neck Lifts
- Jaw Contouring
- Reconstructive Surgery for Facial & Eyelid Cancers
- Facial implants
- Eyelid Surgery viz. Ectropion
- Lip Augmentation & enhancement
- Hair Transplants and Hair Restoration Surgery
- Facial & Orbital Fracture Repairs
- Facial Flaps & Grafts for Facial Cancers,
- Orbicularis Oculi Myectomy for intractable Hemifacial spasm &Blepharospasm