Eyes are the means through which one perceives and understand the outside world. Even a small eye disorder can cause great discomfort and inconvenience to a person. Oculoplastic surgeries are performed exclusively for people who suffer from congenital visual impairment or acquired eye problems. Nowadays oculoplastic surgeries are becoming more and more popular and reliable all around the world.
Like many countries, UK too has its share of oculoplastic surgeons who are adept in their fields of specialization. These talented surgeons can be found in some of the most famous multi-specialty hospitals within the country. UK also has the required facilities that oculoplasty demands, along with certain levels of advanced technology. Most of these ocular surgeries commence with an eye test, which would later be diagnosed by some of the best oculoplastic surgeons in UK. The country even has an elaborately structured system to keep in track of the needs and requirements of the patients.
If UK meets all the said requirements, then why is it that most of the patients are flocking to India for oculoplastic surgery? The reasons are numerous.
Oculoplastic Surgery in India
Every year, India is visited by thousands around the world for various surgeries. Oculoplastic surgery is one of the most popular procedures on this list. Medical tourism has been climbing up in India since the last few years. India is a preferred destination for patients from around the world who want to get elaborate surgeries done at affordable prices. A major portion of these tourists includes the citizens of UK too. Apart from good facilities and reasonable rates, there is another reason that pulls in people to India for surgical treatments; Dr. Debraj Shome.
Considered to be one of the best oculoplastic surgeons in the world Dr. Shome’s fame is spread far and wide. Known for his exemplary surgical precision and long term experience in the field of oculoplasty and facial reconstruction, Dr. Shome draws many tourists from UK to India every year. His surgical skills are very much sought out and even people from Pakistan visit him for curing ocular disorder. His admirable traits are many, some of which include:
- Vast knowledge
- Awareness about current methods in this field of surgery
- Tie-ups with specialty hospitals
- Guidance on recovery and care
- Follow-up systems
- Availability of one-to-one consultation
- In-depth investigations without bias
Dr. Shome’s passion to make people feel better and his attitude towards his patients are known to have won the hearts of thousands of patients all around the globe.
As most of the reliable oculoplastic surgeons are found only in the leading hospitals of UK, it makes it difficult for people belonging to the less fortunate sections of the society to get their ocular disorders rectified. To add to it, the country has a unique billing structure that results in causing a blow on the wallets of many, especially when oculoplastic surgery is concerned. Thus, many find it convenient to come to India to get oculoplastic surgeries. This decision has two benefits, as in India, an elaborate oculoplastic surgery would come up to INR 60, 000 to 80, 000, adding to which certain treatment techniques and drugs in India are much advanced than that available in UK.
Dr. Debraj Shome and His Accolades
Dr. Shome’s unmatchable intelligence and never-ending curiosity in the field of oculoplasty has made him what he is today- an exemplary surgeon and a passionate human being. Famed in the areas of oculoplasty and facial cosmetology, he is a holder of many titles and accomplishments. Settled in Mumbai, he renders his medicinal wisdom and surgical expertise to many leading hospitals.
He operated as the head of Aesthetics and Cosmetic surgery at Apollo Hospitals, which is one of the leading hospitals in Hyderabad. At present he leads the Facial Plastic Surgery department of Apollo Spectra in Mumbai. He has also worked with the Facial Plastic Surgery departments of many hospitals within Mumbai as well as India.
Dr. Shome’s niche fields include facial and ocular oncology, eyelid surgery, oculoplasty and facial and cosmetic surgeries. He undertook the founding of the Esthetic Clinic in collaboration with the Apollo Hospitals, along with a colleague. Today, it happens to be one of the most sought after medical institutions in the country. He has also made great contributions to the field of research and has numerous publications to his name. Here is a list of handful of his other honors:
- Best Plastic Surgeon Mumbai
- Top 10 Cosmetic Surgeon India
- Best Oculoplastic Surgeon India
- Marquis Who’s Who
- Celebrity Plastic Surgeon in World
- Marquis Who’s Who Asia Pacific
- Bharat Biotech – LVPEI Travel Grant Award in 2005
- Travelling Grant Fellowship Award from the Royal College of Surgeons, Glasgow for his work in Oncology research in 2005
- Reviewer for Indian Journal of Ophthalmology’s ‘Head and Neck Surgery’;
- The American Academy of Ophthalmology’s Journal, ‘Dermatologic Surgery’ and for the ‘Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery.’
The fields he has specialized in and contributed to include:
- Cosmetic Facial Plastic Surgery
- Oculoplastic Surgery
- Orbicularis Oculi Myectomy for intractable Hemifacial spasm &Blepharospasm
- Eyelid Surgery viz. Ectropion
- Non-surgical Facial Rejuvenation
- Face Lifts
- Eyelash enhancement
- Mid-Face lifts
- Facial Reconstructive Surgery post Facial fractures and cancers
- Reconstructive Surgery for Facial & Eyelid Cancers
- Facial implants
- Lip Augmentation & enhancement
- Auricular Repositioning
- Hair Transplants and Hair Restoration Surgery
- Facial & Orbital Fracture Repairs
- Neck Lifts
- Jaw Contouring
- Facial Flaps & Grafts for Facial Cancers,