A vision-impairment can cause great distress and cause serious problems in one’s personal as well as professional life. This is the reason why oculoplastic surgery is becoming more and more popular by the day. Until a few decades ago, many disorders regarding eyes, tear ducts and the eyelids could not be treated beyond a point. But this is not the case today. Technology has advanced so much that any genetic or acquired disorder that involves the eye-socket, tear ducts or the face can be cured completely through oculoplasty.
If we take a look at Europe, we realize that there are many skilled oculoplastic surgeons practicing here. They are experienced and talented and can do wonders when equipped with the first class infrastructure that the leading hospitals and clinics in the country can provide. The oculoplastic surgeries in Europe comprise of detailed tests and procedures. They usually begin with an inner eye test and will proceed from there on depending on the patient’s age, health quotient and type of disorder.
Though the hospitals in Europe, including Turkey, Germany and United Kingdom have excellent facilities and unique methods to keep track of a patient’s process, the availability of these facilities to the common man is questionable. This is one of the negative points that affects the popularity of oculoplasty in Europe. The reliable surgeons in the country are accessible only to the creamy layer of the society, thus leaving the rest with no means to deal with ocular and facial disorders.
Oculoplastic Surgery in India
India is one of the leading countries that is spearheading medical tourism and oculoplasty is a major field that hospitals in India focus upon. Being one of the leading developing countries, India’s advancement in the medical sector, coupled with its very own proud sect of exceptional doctors and surgeons has worked wonders in the medical tourism sector. The country accommodates thousands of foreigners who visit it for medical and surgical purposes. This also includes people from Europe. The brilliant fact that one of world’s most recognized doctors resides in India is also a reason that pulls in the crowd.
The name of Dr. Debraj Shome is not at all unfamiliar to medical front. He is considered to be one of the best oculoplastic surgeons in India as well as abroad. He is without doubt a great surgeon with many admirable traits. Some of them are:
- Tie-ups with specialty hospitals
- Availability of one-to-one consultation
- Guidance on recovery and care
- Follow-up systems
- Vast knowledge
- Awareness about current methods in this field of surgery
- In-depth investigations without bias
Dr. Shome’s intelligent eyes and constantly smiling face, along with his reliable demeanor puts the patients at ease and fills them with confidence and hope.
An oculoplastic surgery performed in Europe can be pretty expensive, especially since the surgeons are limited to only a handful of recognized hospitals. This puts the rest of the society in dilemma, as everyone cannot afford surgery at the existing costs in Europe. Thus they choose to come to India to get the same procedures done at a mush reasonable cost. In India, an elaborate oculoplastic surgery will come only around INR 60,000 to 80,000. Cost effectiveness is not the only factor that makes India a preferable destination to medical tourists; India’s medical technology is so much more advanced than that of Europe.
Dr. Debraj Shome and His Accolades
Dr. Shome’s popularity is not merely limited to surgery; he is also a great visionary and a leader. Needless to say, many hospitals yearn to have him work with them. Currently he is working with numerous leading hospitals.
Dr. Shome’s specializing areas are multiple and it is does require pointing out that he excels at all of the fields he has specialized in. His niche areas include oculoplasty, orbital and socket surgery and cancer involving the face and eyes. He also specializes in many types of facial reconstructive operations.
Presently practicing in Mumbai, he is proudly heading the Facial Plastic Surgery center in the Nova Specialty hospital. He also holds the honor of co-founding the Institute of Aesthetic Surgery – The Esthetic Clinics, which happens to be one of the most sought after organizations in India.
Dr. Shome is passionate about the following areas:
- Facial Reconstructive Surgery post Facial fractures and cancers
- Eyelash enhancement
- Cosmetic Facial Plastic Surgery
- Oculoplastic Surgery
- Non-surgical Facial Rejuvenation
- Face Lifts
- Mid-Face lifts
- Auricular Repositioning
- Hair Transplants and Hair Restoration Surgery
- Facial & Orbital Fracture Repairs
- Neck Lifts
- Jaw Contouring
- Reconstructive Surgery for Facial & Eyelid Cancers
- Facial implants
- Lip Augmentation & enhancement
- Facial Flaps & Grafts for Facial Cancers,
- Orbicularis Oculi Myectomy for intractable Hemifacial spasm &Blepharospasm
- Eyelid Surgery viz. Ectropion
Dr. Shome’s honors are endless. They include:
- Plastic Surgeon in World
- Best Plastic Surgeon Mumbai
- Top 10 Cosmetic Surgeon India
- Best Oculoplastic Surgeon India
- Marquis Who’s Who Asia Pacific
- Bharat Biotech – LVPEI Travel Grant Award in 2005
- Travelling Grant Fellowship Award from the Royal College of Surgeons, Glasgow for his work in Oncology research in Celebrity 2005
- Reviewer for Indian Journal of Ophthalmology’s ‘Head and Neck Surgery’;
- The American Academy of Ophthalmology’s Journal, ‘Dermatologic Surgery’ and for the ‘Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery.’
- Marquis Who’s Who
It is also necessary to point out how Dr. Shome’s patients include many from the country of Pakistan too. His popularity is spreading far and wide every day.