Oculoplastic Surgery aims to rectify any disorder regarding the eye, be it something you have inherited or caused by diseases or accidents. Oculoplasty mainly involves the eye socket, eyelids, tear ducts and the facial area. Nowadays, millions of people are getting cured from their vision impairments and other problems regarding the eye through oculoplastic surgery. Oculoplastic surgery is fast becoming one of the surgeries that is performed most number of times. The success rates of these operations too are pretty stable.
Oculoplasty has gained popularity in the country of New Delhi since the last few years. New Delhi is known for its leading hospitals and good infrastructure. The medical sector in New Delhi has an elaborate system to keep track of the condition of the patients and how well and fast they are recovering. Many of the reputed hospitals and popular clinics in New Delhi have oculoplastic surgeons working with them. The patients require undergoing an inner eye test after consulting an oculoplastic surgeon to get a better picture of their predicament. This is followed by the diagnosis, post which a decision is taken regarding what kind of treatment will be required to cure the patient.
But there is an underlying problem that prevents many people from undergoing oculoplastic surgeries in New Delhi. It is a fact that these surgeries can be costly. But apart from this, the people in New Delhi face the problem of good doctors being limited multi-specialty hospitals alone. This causes a major section of the society to shy away from surgery, fearing the exuberant rates for treatment.
Oculoplastic Surgery in India
This is where India steps in. India has been acting as a medical hub for the rest of the world for more than a decade now. Though still a developing country, India’s medical field is advanced and up to date. This encourages thousands of medical tourists to come here for treatment every year, as they can acquire expert medical care at reasonable prices. People in New Delhi tend to visit India often to take care of their ocular disorders for the same reason.
India proudly holds the honor of housing many globally famous oculoplastic surgeons. Among them, one of the best happens to Dr. Debraj Shome. Dr. Shome is not an unfamiliar figure in the niche area of oculoplasty and facial and ocular oncology. He is known for his dedication and expertise and many more traits that makes thousands of tourist instill their trust and confidence in him. Some of his most respected attributes include:
- Availability of one-to-one consultation
- Follow-up systems
- In-depth investigations without bias
- Guidance on recovery and care
- Tie-ups with specialty hospitals
- Vast knowledge
- Awareness about current methods in this field of surgery
As pointed out in the beginning, an oculoplastic surgery in New Delhi can be a bit hard on the pockets of a major section of the community in New Delhi. A common man would find even the consultation fee rather high given the fact that reliable oculoplastic surgeons in New Delhi are found only the most famous hospitals in the country. A comparative study of Indian and Bangla hospitals show that a standard oculoplastic surgery can be limited between INR 60,000 and 80,000 in India, while the chances are that one will have to pay much more in New Delhi. Also, it is necessary to note that the Indian medical procedures and surgical technology is a bit more advanced than that of New Delhi.
Dr. Debraj Shome and His Accolades
Dr. Shome is considered a visionary by many of his colleagues. He, along with his colleague, started the Esthetic Clinic as a part of Apollo Hospitals in Hyderabad, and today it happens to be one of the leading clinics in India. He also headed the Facial and Plastic Surgery department of the said clinic from 2009 to 2011. At present he is the head of the Facial and Plastic Surgery center of the Apollo Spectra hospital in Mumbai. At present he is affiliated with many esteemed hospitals in India.
Dr. Shome specialized in ophthalmology as a student and soon became adept in the areas of oculoplasty, facial reconstructive surgeries and facial oncology. He has contributed so much more than he has learnt to all these fields. Some of his major interest areas are:
- Facial Reconstructive Surgery post Facial fractures and cancers
- Mid-Face lifts
- Facial & Orbital Fracture Repairs
- Neck Lifts
- Eyelash enhancement
- Non-surgical Facial Rejuvenation
- Face Lifts
- Cosmetic Facial Plastic Surgery
- Oculoplastic Surgery
- Auricular Repositioning
- Hair Transplants and Hair Restoration Surgery
- Jaw Contouring
- Reconstructive Surgery for Facial & Eyelid Cancers
- Facial implants
- Lip Augmentation & enhancement
- Facial Flaps & Grafts for Facial Cancers,
- Orbicularis Oculi Myectomy for intractable Hemifacial spasm & Blepharospasm
- Eyelid Surgery viz. Ectropion
Needless to say, Dr. Shome is an oculoplastic surgeon who is held with the highest regard in the medical and surgical circles of India as well as abroad. His fame is so widespread that he has many patients even from Pakistan. Given his legendary performance record and expertise, he has acquired many honors over the years. Here are a few of them:
- Best Plastic Surgeon in World
- Best Plastic Surgeon Mumbai
- Reviewer for Indian Journal of Ophthalmology’s ‘Head and Neck Surgery’
- Best Oculoplastic Surgeon India
- Top 10 Cosmetic Surgeon India
- Travelling Grant Fellowship Award from the Royal College of Surgeons, Glasgow for his work in Oncology research in Celebrity 2005
- The American Academy of Ophthalmology’s Journal, ‘Dermatologic Surgery’ and for the ‘Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery.’
- Marquis Who’s Who
- Marquis Who’s Who Asia Pacific
- Bharat Biotech – LVPEI Travel Grant Award in 2005