Oculoplastic Surgery is one of the most often performed surgeries in the world today. Oculoplastic surgery mainly involves the parts of eye and face, namely the socket, tear ducts and the lids. Unlike ancient times, today millions of people find cures for their ocular and facial disorders through oculoplastic procedures. These procedures can treat any vision or facial impairment, be it hereditary or acquired. Thus today people do not have to battle with vision problems that can slow down their lives. They can always opt for an oculoplastic surgery.
There are many reputed oculoplastic surgeons working in Mumbai. The hospitals in Mumbai are well equipped and meet all the needs and requirements of the patients. Over the past few years Oculoplastic surgeries have been becoming more popular in the country. These elaborate surgeries include initial tests, diagnoses and discussion sessions, which are then followed by the surgery. The hospitals in Mumbai are very particular about the post-surgery progress of their patients and they keep track of how fast the patients are getting better.
Though Mumbai can provide such excellent care and medical treatment, due to the fact that oculoplasty is limited to just a handful of leading hospitals in the country, many people are devoid of the skills and expertise rendered by good oculoplastic surgeons. If majority of the population cannot afford the expenses of the surgery, then good infrastructure and doctors are of no use.
Oculoplastic Surgery in India
The case in India is different. India is on top of the list for countries preferred for medical tourism. This has a lot to do with the justified and affordable surgery and medical rates in India. It is also a fact that India is medically and technologically much advanced than all other developing countries and many of the developed countries too. Thus people flock into the country every year for various medical treatments, and oculoplasty is one of the popular ones among them.
The Indian oculoplastic surgeons are known for their intelligence and determination and dedication to their professions. One of the most intelligent and dedicated among this lot is Dr. Debraj Shome. Dr. Shome is famous within the country as well as outside for his expertise in the field of oculoplasty and facial reconstructive procedures. He has many qualities that make him a talented and reputed surgeon. Some of these traits include:
- Availability of one-to-one consultation
- Immense knowledge
- Guidance on recovery and care
- Follow-up systems
- Awareness about current methods in this field of surgery
- In-depth investigations without bias
- Tie-ups with specialty hospitals
Due to the good oculoplastic surgeons being limited to leading clinics and hospitals, only the cream of the Bangla society can afford to get oculoplastic surgeries done within the country. The rest opt to go to India to get treated. A comparison of the medical systems in both the countries show that the native billing structure followed in Mumbai puts a toll on the common man, thus making it impossible for the common man to opt for leading hospitals or doctors. But In India, they can get the same procedures done under leading doctors within a budget of INR 60,000 to 80,000.
Dr. Debraj Shome and His Accolades
Dr. Debraj is renowned for his compassion for mankind and his unquenchable need to make a change in the miraculous world of medicine. He has already done so much for his patients as well as the community through his surgical expertise and eye for detail. He is responsible for Esthetic Clinic which was founded by himself and his colleague in accordance with the Apollo Hospitals in Hyderabad. Currently he shoulders the responsibility for leading the Facial and Plastic surgery department of the Apollo Spectra Hospital.
Dr. Shome’s interest areas are vast and varied. It is also necessary to understand that he has made individual contributions to all the fields he has worked with. Some of the niche areas he excels in are:
- Facial Reconstructive Surgery post Facial fractures and cancers
- Mid-Face lifts
- Facial & Orbital Fracture Repairs
- Neck Lifts
- Eyelash enhancement
- Non-surgical Facial Rejuvenation
- Face Lifts
- Cosmetic Facial Plastic Surgery
- Oculoplastic Surgery
- Auricular Repositioning
- Hair Transplants and Hair Restoration Surgery
- Jaw Contouring
- Reconstructive Surgery for Facial & Eyelid Cancers
- Facial implants
- Lip Augmentation & enhancement
- Facial Flaps & Grafts for Facial Cancers,
- Orbicularis Oculi Myectomy for intractable Hemifacial spasm &Blepharospasm
- Eyelid Surgery viz. Ectropion
It is no surprise that a surgeon as talented and determined as Dr. Shome would be a holder or multiple feathers in his cap. Despite having many awards to his name and numerous publications under his authorship, he continues to be a humble and approachable human being. Listed below here are some of his accolades:
- Top 10 Cosmetic Surgeon India
- Best Plastic Surgeon in World
- Best Plastic Surgeon Mumbai
- Travelling Grant Fellowship Award from the Royal College of Surgeons, Glasgow for his work in Oncology research in Celebrity 2005
- The American Academy of Ophthalmology’s Journal, ‘Dermatologic Surgery’ and for the ‘Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery.’
- Marquis Who’s Who
- Reviewer for Indian Journal of Ophthalmology’s ‘Head and Neck Surgery’
- Best Oculoplastic Surgeon India
- Marquis Who’s Who Asia Pacific
- Bharat Biotech – LVPEI Travel Grant Award in 2005
Dr. Shome’s fame continues to spread across countries and more and more patients seem to get uplifted and encouraged by him every year. He is a man of action and his patients are confident that he will always provide them with the desired results.