Before the evolution and establishment of Oculoplasty, people had no means to cure their genetic and acquired eye problems. They had to live with vision impairments that hindered with their lifestyle and deal with it silently. An ocular predicament can cause great distress to a person as it will make their confidence crumble and also make both personal and professional life difficult. But today, through oculoplastic surgeries, all such disorders can be wiped away without a trace. Oculoplasty would involve various parts of the face like the eye lids, tear ducts and the eyes. It is basically a plastic surgery that would mainly involve the eyes.
Bengaluru can boast of having good oculoplastic surgeons practicing in the country. They are well trained and skilled and can rectify almost all ocular disorders and diseases. The hospitals that have oculoplastic and facial plastic surgery wings are all the leading hospitals in Bengaluru. They comprise of state of the art infrastructure and commendable medicare services.
The oculoplastic surgeries are performed only after an in-depth diagnosis of a patient’s condition and discussions on the corrective procedures to be conducted. The age, medical history and specificities of the problem are always taken into consideration.
Oculoplastic Surgery in India
But many people from Bengaluru still choose to come to India to take care of their ocular and facial issues. This is no surprise because of the fact that India is one of the biggest wellness hubs in the globe today. India’s medical excellence has spread far and wide. It is one of the most popular countries that contribute to medical tourism. Given India’s evolution in the medical field, especially in the area of surgery, people from other countries find it convenient to visit India and meet their surgical requirements instead of getting it done in their own countries.
Another reason is the existence of Dr. Debraj Shome in India. Dr. Shome happens to be one among the cream of the doctors’ society in India as well as the world. Dr. Shome’s exemplary skills and determination to take oculoplasty and plastic surgery to new heights is not new to people who are familiar with him. Some attributes that make him one of the best plastic surgeons in the world are:
- In-depth investigations without bias
- Guidance on recovery and care
- Tie-ups with specialty hospitals
- Availability of one-to-one consultation
- Follow-up systems
- Vast knowledge
- Awareness about current methods in this field of surgery
Every year thousands come to India for oculoplastic surgeries and a good portion of this number belongs to people from Bengaluru who find India a proximate and convenient option. If you look at the surgical expenses that would arise in both the countries, we can see that in India, an advanced oculoplastic procedure can be limited within the range of INR 60,000 t0 80,000. The same surgery in Bengaluru would cost them much more, given the varied billing structure in the country. This makes it difficult for ordinary people to afford the surgery bills. Also, India’s medical technology is much advanced than that of Bengaluru.
Dr. Debraj Shome and His Accolades
Dr. Shome is considered to be on top of the list some of the best oculoplastic surgeons in the world. This multifaceted personality is famous in the medical circles for his passion, simple attitude, the will to take up challenging cases and admirable leadership qualities.
A few years ago he co-founded the Esthetic Clinics, which is linked to the Apollo Hospitals in Hyderabad. Today, Esthetic Clinics happens to be one of the leading clinics in India as well as outside. The Facial and Plastic Surgery department of the clinic was led by Dr. Shome from 2009 to 2011. Currently he is based out of Mumbai and heads Apollo Spectra Hospital’s Facial and Plastic Surgery department. He is affiliated with numerous hospitals in and around Mumbai and renders his services to all of them with great dedication. Regardless to point out, many hospitals yearn to have Dr. Shome work with them.
Dr. Shome has always been greatly interested in the area of plastic surgery and oculoplasty. It is his unquenchable thirst for knowledge and interest in these subjects that has made him what he is today. His main areas of interests include:
- Facial implants
- Lip Augmentation & enhancement
- Facial Flaps & Grafts for Facial Cancers,
- Facial Reconstructive Surgery post Facial fractures and cancers
- Eyelash enhancement
- Cosmetic Facial Plastic Surgery
- Oculoplastic Surgery
- Non-surgical Facial Rejuvenation
- Face Lifts
- Mid-Face lifts
- Auricular Repositioning
- Hair Transplants and Hair Restoration Surgery
- Facial & Orbital Fracture Repairs
- Neck Lifts
- Jaw Contouring
- Reconstructive Surgery for Facial & Eyelid Cancers
- Orbicularis Oculi Myectomy for intractable Hemifacial spasm &Blepharospasm
- Eyelid Surgery viz. Ectropion
Dr. Shome is a man who has numerous brilliant feathers in his cap. His achievements make a never exhaustive list. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Marquis Who’s Who
- Best Oculoplastic Surgeon India
- Marquis Who’s Who Asia Pacific
- Best Plastic Surgeon in World
- Best Plastic Surgeon Mumbai
- Top 10 Cosmetic Surgeon India
- The American Academy of Ophthalmology’s Journal, ‘Dermatologic Surgery’ and for the ‘Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery.’
- Bharat Biotech – LVPEI Travel Grant Award in 2005
- Travelling Grant Fellowship Award from the Royal College of Surgeons, Glasgow for his work in Oncology research in Celebrity 2005
- Reviewer for Indian Journal of Ophthalmology’s ‘Head and Neck Surgery’;